AHJA Category 1 approved horse shows must offer the 5 AHJA Medal classes. In all AHJA Medal classes, a minimum of 3 riders must be entered. No minimum to complete the course. In the event that only 1 or 2 riders complete the course, there will be no work-off and the class will be pinned. Full points will count. If more than 2 riders complete the course, a minimum of 3 riders will return for further testing. Riders in AHJA Medal classes need not be AHJA Members, however only current AHJA members whose trainer of record is an AHJA member in good standing will accrue points toward Finals competition.
Points are awarded: 1st=10, 2nd=6, 3rd=4, 5th=1, 6th=1/2.
- AHJA Mini Medal: Open to all juniors who have never competed over fences above 2'9" or .85 meter at Regular Member USEF Horse Shows. To be shown over a course of not less than 8 fences not to exceed 2'6" in height. USEF Tests 1-8. No combinations. Distances will not be adjusted for ponies.
- AHJA Silver Stirrup Medal: Open to amateur riders, 18 and over. Riders in this class may not compete over fences above 2'9" or .85 meters during the current show year at Regular Member USEF Horse Shows. To be shown over a course of not less than 8 fences not to exceed 2'6" in height. USEF Test 1-8. No combinations. Dinstances will not be adjusted for ponies.
- AHJA Children's Medal: Open to junior riders who have not competed over fences higher than 3'3" (Hunters and Equitation) or 1.0 meter (jumpers) during the current show year at USEF Regular Member Horse Shows. The course must include one combination, two changes of direction, a single oxer and a minimum of 8 fences. Two or more tests are required of the top 4 competitors. USEF Tests 1-17. Fence 3'0".
- AHJA Adult Medal: Open to adult amateur riders. Specifications are the same as the AHJA Children's Medal.
- AHJA Junior Amateur Medal: Open to all Junior and Amateur riders. Riders competing in this class may not compete in any other AHJA Medal at the same show. Two or more tests are required of the top 4 competitors. To be shown over a course of not less than eight (8) jumps at 3'3" in height. The course must include a combination (including an oxer), 2 changes of direction after the first fence and a single oxer. USEF Tests 1-19. In addition, the course must include at least one of the following:
- Roll back turn
- End fence
- Broken line
- Narrow jump
- Natural obstacle (water obstacles are prohibited).